‘Not currently recycled’ is not good enough. So what is it about our eco friendly packaging that makes it special and why are we different to other companies?
It is absolutely fantastic that there is much greater focus and awareness of eco friendly packaging. Unfortunately most packaging is totally excessive, with everything from toys to bananas in disposable plastic bags and trays!
There is a also huge amount of packaging material which is non-recyclable and ends up as waste. The supermarkets (and many other companies) do little to change this and the manufacturers themselves do not do enough either. It is also really frustrating that as a small business we are also in the packaging supply chain and often have needless packaging materials sent to us.
Did you know in the UK alone we produce over 300 million tons of plastic each year, of which over 50% is single use!
Exciting news! We are replacing all our 250ml PET plastic bottles with glass, making the entire Conscious Skincare range available in glass and aluminium!
Our key values
We think long and hard about our packaging. A lot of experts told us that to look ‘higher end’ we should have all our products in boxes. Yes, they would look lovely on the shelf but what happens to that box as soon as you get home? It is thrown in the bin. What a waste!
One of our key values is to ‘Leave No Trace’. Whilst we are not perfect, we really do what what we can to strive towards that goal.
Recently we have introduced the option to purchase 500ml refills of our 235ml body and face range of products to encourage re-use of the containers initially purchased. We have sourced refill bottles which are fully recyclable and are made from 100% recycled plastic waste.
In addition we have changed our entire Exfoliant and Shave Gel range from plastic to Aluminium.
Eco friendly packaging from Conscious Skincare:
- Face and Body range in Glass bottles
- Face Exfoliants and Toners in Aluminium bottles
- Facial Moisturiser and Serum range in Glass and Aluminium
- Cold pressed Oil products in Aluminium bottles
- Body Butters and Body Polishes in Aluminium
- Conscious Man range in Glass and Aluminium
- Option to purchase 500ml refills made from 100% recycled plastic waste
- Option to purchase all aluminium bottles without plastic pumps
- 100% Biodegradable product labels added to range
- Cardboard shipping boxes for all orders, fully recyclable and made from 100% recycled material
- Cardboard gift boxes and optional gift tubes, fully recyclable
- Biodegradable brown, solvent free packing tape
- Biodegradable clear sticky tape
- Aluminium bottles and caps, fully recyclable
- PET plastic fully recyclable 250ml and 500ml refill bottles (soon to be replaced with glass)
- Glass jars, fully recyclable
- Acid Free tissue paper made from recycled paper
- Paper Jiffy bags composed of 60% post-consumer waste – with the lining made from shredded newspaper. 100% recycled paper fibre cushioning. Fully recyclable (the ones we use for shipping samples and small products)
- 100% recycled paper used for printing
- 100% recycled paper used for customer letters
- Packing paper is fully recyclable and 100% recycled
- Corrugated card (made from 100% recycled cardboard) used to wrap bottles for protection
- Corn starch, fully biodegradable clear bags for the pumps / samples that go on the products
- Corn starch, fully biodegradable little round clear stickers for fixing tissue paper into place
What materials do we currently use for our containers?
Glass – fully recyclable. Weight makes it environmentally (and commercially) expensive to ship for larger sized products. In addition glass also requires a higher amount of energy to manufacture and recycle.
Aluminium – lightweight and recyclable. It does require a significant amount of energy to recycle and also needs a special lining to stop it reacting with liquids. This adds to the environmental cost during the manufacture and recycling of this material. Aluminium also requires additional packaging in transit.
HDPE 100% recycled plastic made from consumer waste – lightweight for shipping and fully recyclable. Low energy required in recycling process. Does require recycling rather than being placed in landfill.
Eco friendly packaging plans in the future
We have now introduced 100% biodegradable labels with our new face serum range. In future we will be introducing these labels across all products where appropriate!
Top of the list is making sure that for anything we can’t recycle or compost, that it has a recycling destination. We have found recycling companies who take bulk plastic, turn it into chippings which are then used to make other useful things.
We would like to be able to mix simple materials like cardboard and vegetable wax to create a container that can hold liquids successfully but looks great at the same time. Ideally we would like fully biodegradable, compostable containers sourced from 100% recycled materials. We hope the packaging manufacturers can step up and manufacture these containers in the near future!
For what inspires us in packaging you can also check out our Packaging Inspiration on Pinterest!