‘Not currently recycled’ is not good enough. So what is it about our eco friendly packaging that makes it special and why are we different to other companies?
It is fantastic that there is much greater focus and awareness of eco friendly packaging. Most packaging is totally excessive, with aubergines or bananas in plastic bags and trays!
Exciting news! We are aiming to replace all our 250ml PET bottles with glass in September 2019, making the entire Conscious Skincare range plastic free!
There is a huge amount of packaging material which is non-recyclable and ends up as waste. The supermarkets (and many other companies) do nothing to change this and the manufacturers themselves do not do enough either. It is really frustrating that as a small business we are also in the packaging supply chain and often have needless packaging material sent to us.
Our key values
We think long and hard about our packaging. A lot of experts told us that to look ‘higher end’ we should have all our products in boxes. Yes, they would look lovely on the shelf but what happens to that box as soon as you get home? It is thrown in the bin. What a waste!
One of our key values is to ‘Leave No Trace’. Whilst we are not perfect, we really do what what we can to strive towards that goal.
Recently we have introduced the option to purchase 500ml refills of our 250ml body and face range of products to encourage re-use of the containers initially purchased.
In addition you can now purchase products in bottles without the plastic pumps. This is to encourage use of pumps previously bought or you can of course choose to use the product without a pump.
Eco friendly packaging from Conscious Skincare:
- Option to purchase 500ml refills
- Option to purchase bottles without plastic pumps
- 100% Biodegradable labels added to range
- Cardboard shipping boxes for all orders, fully recyclable and made from 100% recycled material
- Cardboard gift boxes and optional gift tubes, fully recyclable
- Biodegradable brown, solvent free packing tape
- Biodegradable clear sticky tape
- Corn starch packing fill (those little white pellets, fully biodegradable, water soluble – see video above)
- Aluminium bottles and caps, fully recyclable
- PET plastic fully recyclable 250ml and 500ml refill bottles (soon to be replaced with glass)
- Glass jars, fully recyclable
- Acid Free tissue paper made from recycled paper
- Paper Jiffy bags composed of 60% post-consumer waste – with the lining made from shredded newspaper. 100% recycled paper fibre cushioning. Fully recyclable (the ones we use for shipping samples and small products)
- Biodegradable bubble wrap
- 100% recycled printer paper
- 100% recycled paper used for customer letters
- Corrugated card (made from 100% recycled cardboard) used to wrap bottles for protection
- Corn starch, fully biodegradable clear bags for the pumps / samples that go on the products
- Corn starch, fully biodegradable little round clear stickers for fixing tissue paper into place
For any electrical items or consumables, we make sure our printer inks go in charity envelopes so that the charity can get paid for the inks they collect. Equally, with outdated or broken mobile phones we identify charities that can take them and turn them into cash.
What materials do we currently use for our containers?
Glass – fully recyclable. Weight makes it environmentally (and commercially) expensive to ship for larger sized products. In addition some customers (eg those with children) do not like glass containers in bathrooms from a safety perspective. Glass also requires a lot of energy to recycle.
Aluminium – lightweight and recyclable. It does require a significant amount of energy to recycle and also needs a special lining to stop it reacting with liquids. This adds to the environmental cost during the manufacture and recycling of this material. Aluminium also requires additional packaging in transit.
PET Plastic – lightweight for shipping and fully recyclable. Low energy required in recycling process. Does require recycling rather than being placed in landfill.
Eco friendly packaging plans in the future
All 250ml bottles currently in PET plastic to be replaced with glass by September 2019!
Currently we are testing a paper pouch which is fully biodegradable and will hopefully be used for 500ml liquid refills in 2019!
We have now introduced 100% biodegradable labels with our new face serum range. In future we will be introducing these labels across all products!
Top of the list is making sure that for anything we can’t recycle or compost, that it has a recycling destination. We have found recycling companies who take bulk plastic, turn it into chippings which are then used to make other useful things.
To replace any plastic, we’re intrigued by potato starch tent pegs used at festivals and would like to see how this material could be made into bottles and jars.
We would like to be able to mix simple materials like cardboard and vegetable wax to create a container that can hold liquids successfully but looks great at the same time. Ideally we would like fully biodegradable, compostable containers sourced from 100% recycled materials. We hope the packaging manufacturers can step up and manufacture these containers in the near future.
For what inspires us in packaging you can also check out our Packaging Inspiration on Pinterest!