What is natural skin care? Does natural skin care work? Is natural skin care effective? We take a look at some of these questions and discuss the differences between natural, organic skin care and the toxic ingredients found in many skincare product lines.
Healthy looking skin gives a confident impression that you look after yourself. We believe Natural Skin Care is key to great skin and good health!
However, it is not just about the skincare products you use. It is really important to have a great diet with as much organic food as possible. Healthy lifestyle factors are also key, with exercise helping to detox your system. Visit our Conscious Living page for more tips.
If you are eating well and taking exercise that is fantastic! Many people follow this routine but can unintentionally cause damage to their skin by using products which contain harmful ingredients.
Sometimes these are hidden, but you can often spot them because they cannot be pronounced! We provide many examples on our chemicals to avoid page but here is a quick list and their effects;
So why do manufacturers use these ingredients? Because they are cheap and easy to dilute. A bit like palm oil in food products. It is of no dietary benefit but is used as a cheap filler. This has huge consequences for the wildlife and environments which suffer when their habitat is destroyed for palm oil plantations.
Why do these toxic ingredients matter?
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, it acts as a protective barrier but also absorbs. Therefore, the ingredients placed on your skin can be absorbed into your bloodstream and land up in your tissues and organs. There are many chemicals your liver cannot process and they are then stored by your body, increasing steadily over time.
What can you do?
- Avoid all of these harsh toxic ingredients. Choose natural and organic skincare products made with certified organic ingredients. We recommend Natural skincare which is cruelty free without the use of harmful chemicals.
- Don’t over exfoliate. We recommend exfoliation every 7 – 10 days using a gentle scrub. Choose an exfoliant designed for your skin type from our range, made with ground almond shell as a natural exfoliant which biodegrades.
- Do not smoke and use a sunscreen with safe ingredients. Avoid over-exposure in the sun. Remove make up at night.
- Think about all the other products that come into contact with your body on a daily basis. What do you clean your teeth with? Does your soap contain harmful ingerdients when you wash your hands? Do you use a biological detergent on your clothes?
- Give yourself time. If your are making changes to your skincare routine and lifestyle it happens slowly. It takes around 27 days for your skin cells to regenerate.
- Avoid ‘Greenwash’. Many companies pretend products are ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ when they use cheap, harmful ingredients which are tested on animals. This can sometimes be by subsidiaries of manufacturers or 3rd parties to try and hide the fact they test on animals. Always read the label and look for a clear policy on animal testing.
Follow our suggested natural skin care routine.
Look for products that will nourish your skin with plant-based ingredients. These will help replenish your skin and work with your body in the same way that eating healthy organic foods will support you.
Is Natural Skincare effective?
To answer this question we recommend a visit our customer testimonials page to see feedback from our customers.